Friday, December 26

A New Year's Resolution

Okay, I'm not too much of a New Year's resolution type of guy, but deep inside, I feel it's about time I make some solid goals. First of all, I've been working on my debut novel for years, and I think it's about high time I finish it and get it out. I don't want to be one of those so-called writers who dabble on too many works and finish none. I am too prideful to fall into that category.

So this year, I am going to set goals for next year. By the end of 2009, I will have achieved these things:

  1. Finished the long and tedious process of editing my novel.
  2. Found and secured myself a literary agent.
  3. Sold my first book.
  4. Acquired film and international rights to my book.

I know those are pretty big goals, but if I don't set them, nothing will be accomplished. You are who you want to be. So in 2009, I want to be successful. As of right now, I play more than I write, which is a sad, sad thing. But I promise to improve and do better.

For all you writers, hang in there and keep writing. There is hope yet. 2009 will see the publishing industry rebounce. I have already purchased too many books this Christmas, and I am glad I did that. The bookstores were packed with people like street markets, as if free books were being given away. And that is a good sign.

So all you new writers, persevere and complete your novels, take a year to edit your work, and take another to re-write. And before you know it, your book will be ready to publish. Remember, patience is a virtue.

May your New Year be bookmarked as one of the finest pages ever written!

4 comments:

Fran Caldwell said...

Perhaps you will read my blog, which was set up for the same reason as yours, but I am a little ahead of you. Start at the beginning!



Good luck. Hope you enjoy my page.

Fran

Christopher Loke said...

Thanks, Fran. I've added your blog to mine. I find your blog very exciting and quite similar to mine. I shall be reading it from time to time.

amberargyle said...

How's things going Chris? Any new updates on the book?

Christopher Loke said...

No new updates, just working on revising it big time until I am feeling the love from the book. My deadline is end of January.